23. Visit Petra

6/10/2017 Syl 0 Comments



Petra is a very old Jordanian city, dated at 312 BC, one of the new 7 wonders of the world.
The rock architecture is what's most attractive bout the city, but very interesting too is the water conduit system. Because of the rose coloured rock, Petra is also known as Rose-city.

Petra was one of the places at a trade route, in the middle of the dessert. Because it's founders, the Nabataeans, were real experts of water control, Petra was an oasis in the dessert.

Nowadays Petra is entered through a narrow gorge, but in ancient times the entrance was from the other side and even from the high plateau on the north.

Lots of archaeological research resulted in a careful description of the rocks and area around them. And the publications about the discoveries has lead to tourism and actions to preserve the area. The need for protection has led to a detailed plan for the next 20 years.

When I saw a TV program about settlements in the dessert the cameraman entered the city through the gorge, not knowing what to expect. He was completely in awe, his hands were shaking, and so was his camera. But it only added to the experience.
At the very same moment I knew I wanted to go to Petra myself.

I don't know if it will ever happen, but if ever given the opportunity I won't say 'no', because even though I know things about Petra, I will be overwhelmed....


.

.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...