To The Maple Leaf

11/21/2018 Syl 0 Comments





Click the photos to see them the way they were intended. The blog adjusts sizes.

We left the parade because we were expected to be somewhere else.
My son wanted to walk around the back of the parade, around Horse Guards. But I wanted to show my daughter how the Underground works and I wanted to give my feet and back a moment of rest. We were discussing this right in front of the entrance at Westminster!
My oldest had told me at home that it was possible to use the bank card as a travel card. So I asked it and it was true. Then daughter said she didn't have enough on her account. Her brother transferred some money to her and then we could finally go through the gates.





I felt like a time traveller.
I know that things have changed, I can see that!
A lot has changed, electronics, light, a bit of interior design.
But I felt exactly as 50 years ago, when the plan was just an inner ring with some outward bound destinations.

When I sat down a woman came sitting beside me... one from my own country. LOL!




3 minutes later we appeared above ground.
Still extremely tired, but grateful for the few minutes sitting down.
Without any thought I went with the flow of travellers.
I just felty happy we went past a table of the Royal British Legion and found the little bracelet the girls wanted to pay tribute to all those who gave us our freedom. It can be worn all year.




It was great to be at a part of London I know rather well.
Different shops, but the same buildings.
Villiers Street. Ofcourse other people have made far better pictures, but these are mine.










Another pub with, what we call...'legs and arms hanging out.'
We've seen that day quite some pubs hosting those who walked the parade. 
So people standing on the street with a beer.



My son is emergency photographer, so when we heard a police car or ambulance we joked it was to keep him feeling at home. Then we turned the corner.


I was more amused the the combination of old and relatively new architecture.









It's kind of strange that I feel bothered by busy roads in my own country, but in London I just don't care.
I was looking around to see the changes. Like the rooftop gardens.












I love coincidences like these.






The reflection in the bus itself is interesting.
And when you're as tired as i am, you'd better keep your brains busy trying to find things like this.




Some people use their eyes to see the sign: Maiden Street.
Others use their iphone navigation....
I was so longing to get inside that I didn't even take the time to give my camera enough time to store the photo of the street sign.

It was great to see our friends.
To take the time to talk, joke, meet a few new people.
I even watched rugby and soccer, 
and introduced onion rings to my daughter. LOL!

Paul gave us a centenary poppy,
so I now have started a collection.



We left far too soon.
But we'll see each other in a few months.



I like those places where you can see the history of building.



St. Paul's Church, also known as Actor's Church. (Bedford Street)
Home for those who work in the art professions, including journalism.
Charles II enabled the building of it after he was on the throne again (1660).
Now it's a place to gather, and also for theatre performances.
Pity we didn't have the time to enjoy the inside.
But we'll be back.



I think the kids were too tired to realise they were in King's Street.












Floral Street. One of those places in London where you can rent a one bed apartment/room for more per week than a complete house with 4 bedrooms and a garden for a month elsewhere.
But it's right in the center of Covent Garden.







Sorry...playing around with photos.
So much to see.











The Long Acre, located between Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square.
Left of it a black painted building.
Fun thing is, when I was a student I lived in the one black building we had in our town.
Black, because that was considered to make a rich and posh impression.








Christmas decorations appearing.
So not only on the ferry....






Dad used to say that I needed to look at the top of the buildings in London and I would never get lost.
He was right.

.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...